31 January 2008

gastronomenae

Today was an exceptional day for food. I had one class, then went to a number of the best gastronomic locations in Paris (and therefore the world), but no restaurants.

First, I went to Verlet to get some coffee (I've already gone through my last bag, which, to be fair, is smaller than its usual American counterpart. That said, this is the most caffeine addicted I've ever been.). I got their Columbian, I believe, and then stopped for an espresso (Panamanian). It was very good, but incredibly citrusy. Not even very coffee-y any more. A little odd, but good.

A short metro ride later, I was at Pierre Hermé, a singularly extraordinary pastry and chocolate shop in the 6ème arrondissement (Paris is divided into 20 arrondissements arranged in a spiral; I live in the 7ème.) There, I bought a 2000 Feuille, a layered pastry; and four small macarons (like two cookies of baked egg white, with a filling in between) in incredibly inventive flavors: passionfruit and milk chocolate, hazelnut and white truffle, olive oil and vanilla, and salt caramel for me. I ate the passionfruit one on the way home; it was truly magnificent.

Around the block is Poilâne, one of the best bakeries in Paris, where they make large country loaves. I got a quarter loaf and a little apple pastry. I love boulangeries because they offer such great products, but for ridiculously low prices. Mmm. Poilâne is very small, like all of them, but produces some magnificent breads.

My last stop was a little ways down Rue de Sèvres: Quatrehomme, a fromagerie (cheese shop) which packs several hundred cheeses into its small store. I bought a nice semi-soft goat cheese covered with chives to go with my bread. Goat cheese is much more prevalent here than in the US; I'd guess between a third and a half of cheese here is goat cheese. A different flavor, but one that grows on you quickly.

I haven't eaten most of these things yet; more pictures and critiques are sure to follow.

No comments: