25 July 2010

a lot of films

so unfortunately, this blog has become semi-defunct, though I am constantly running across bits or ideas that I think that I should stick up here. Anyway, given my current interests, I think it is going to shift a bit to a bit more traditional form of my reflections on whatever media is impressing me at the moment, rather than a stream of ideas and excerpts, though I hope to add those, occasionally, too. In any case, I will try to be more regular, at least for the sake of my own writing ability and clarity of mind, if not my phantom-readers (who knows, maybe you exist). I always do find reading small blogs of people I know to be a titillating view into their minds.

I have been watching an enormous amount of film lately, partly due to my own interest in it, partly due to the convenience of NetFlix, and partly because it offers a much needed reprieve from job-hunting. A partial list of what I have watched lately, from most to least recent, jumbled a bit:
  • Ninotchka
  • The Great Dictator
  • Aliens
  • The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
  • Che, Part 1
  • Carne Tremula
  • The Losers
  • Notorious
  • The Purple Rose of Cairo
  • Day For Night
  • Munich
  • Habla con Ella
  • 12 Monkeys
  • Toy Story 3
  • She's Out of My League
  • The A-Team
  • Stomp the Yard
  • The Pianist
  • Eros
  • My Blueberry Nights
  • Brazil
  • 2046
  • The Green Zone
  • Ondine
  • A Touch of Zen
  • Solaris (1972)
  • The Rules of the Game
  • Gosford Park
  • A Single Man
  • The Seven Year Itch
  • Hot Tub Time Machine
  • Nashville
  • As Tears Go By
  • New Moon
  • Twilight
  • Kick-Ass
  • Ashes of Time Redux
  • Factory Girl
  • Black Orpheus
  • Rebecca
  • The Bounty Hunter
  • Chungking Express
  • Baby Face
  • Iron Man 2
  • In The Mood for Love
  • Fitzcarraldo
  • The Seventh Seal
  • Aguirre, the Wrath of God
  • Throne of Blood
  • Yojimbo
  • Rashomon
  • Ran
  • Sawdust and Tinsel
  • Fanny and Alexander
  • Smiles of a Summer Night
  • Ikiru
  • Crazy Heart
  • Invictus
  • Cries and Whispers
  • Winter Light
  • Amores Perros
  • Modern Times
  • The Silence
  • Precious
  • Volver
  • Through a Glass Darkly
  • Blow-Up
  • Taxi Driver
  • Julie & Julia
  • Nine
  • The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
  • The Princess and the Frog
  • The Fantastic Mr. Fox
  • A Fistful of Dollars
  • A Serious Man
  • An Education
  • Alien
  • Up in the Air
  • La Notte
  • L'Avventura
  • Reservoir Dogs
  • Inglorious Basterds
  • The Blind Side
  • The Hurt Locker
  • The Elephant Man
  • City Lights
  • Avatar
  • Coraline
  • Sherlock Holmes
  • Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)
  • Nosferatu, A Symphony of Horrors (1922)
  • Juliet of the Spirits
  • Vampyr
  • The Informant!
  • Amarcord
  • Double Indemnity
  • The Shining
  • Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
  • Wild Strawberries
  • The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
  • Rififi
  • Satyricon
  • Nights of Cabiria
Mm, so that list ended up being a bit longer than I anticipated, and reaches back months and months now, omitting a lot of important – and more unimportant – ones I have forgotten. This is all part of a larger project to extend my experience of films beyond the five or so years I have really been watching, and to ground my film knowledge in the classics, new and old, while keeping abreast of what's happening now. Frankly, it's a large and unending task.

Things that have stuck out: my love for Fellini, Bergman, and Wong Kar-Wai, despite the fact that each only has one movie that I truly love without reserve; a patience with commercialized trash (yes, I love both The A-Team and The Silence); a vague dislike for French New Wave and Antonioni; a feeling that Soderbergh bests Scorsese for best living American director, despite general opinion; that Wong Kar-Wai is without doubt at the top of international cinema at the moment; and that I have a lot left to watch.

I have been working from the IMDb Top 250 (I've now made it through 97 of the top 100; still missing Inception, Once Upon a Time in America, and The Green Mile), the All-TIME Top 100 Movies list by Corliss and Schickel, the Oscar nominees for the major awards, and my own inclinations.

Anyway, the purpose of this re-opening post is to set the stage a bit for what is hopefully to follow: meditations on the media occupying me at the moment. If you're still reading, what are you consuming at the moment? Let me know!

2 comments:

rm said...

That is a long list! But you might be happy to know that I have watched quite a number of those on your list, the relatively newer ones.

I just finished watching Legend of the Seeker season 1, and am looking forward to season 2.

edward said...

Good to hear from you! Hope you're enjoying your summer.

I saw an episode of that once, but it felt like I was cutting in in the middle of Stargate or something; I'd have to start from the beginning.

Personally, I'm really excited about the return of Mad Men tonight.